The History Of Kendrick Oil
Since 1951, we at Kendrick Oil Company have proudly built a reputation for quality and service that our customers can rely on. As we look toward the future and the opportunities that are just over the horizon, we are keeping our feet grounded in the accomplishments of the past. In fact, it is the history of our company that is helping to guide the directions we are taking today.
Our roots and foundation
On January 1, 1951 HK (Pudge) Kendrick and his wife Deke bought the local Phillips jobber and created Kendrick Oil. Located just southeast of the Sante Fe grain elevator in Friona, Texas, Pudge drove the delivery trucks and Deke kept the books. In 1954, Kendrick Oil relocated to some old barracks from the Amarillo Air Base. That was an arrangement that worked well until the early 1970’s. Then the couple opened the first Fast Stop Convenience Store which was situated in the old Conoco Station. As the business grew, Pudge and Deke’s son, Danny, joined the company and began working as a delivery driver. Throughout the late ’70’s and early 80’s, the list of jobbers continued to expand, including the Fina brand. By the late 1980’s, Danny had taken over as President of Kenrick Oil and moved the corporate offices to the present location at 824 Main Street in Friona.
Growth and changes
June 1952 – Original Kendrick Oil Company Delivery Trucks, outside the adobe building
For many years, the company continued to grow and expand. In 1995 a tornado destroyed the old barracks. After realizing that business had changed, the decision was made to build a bulk plant for propane and diesel as well as a warehouse on the site. Today, this new facility provides a quality product for our clients.In 2001, Kendrick Oil was honored for fifty years of work as a jobber by ConocoPhillips. By 2005, the company’s growth was evident and the company decided to purchase the Town and Country stores in Friona and Clovis, NM. Today, there are over 20 Fast Stop Convenience Stores in Eastern New Mexico and the South Plains of Texas.
Another family member joins the team
Continuing in the footsteps of his family, Danny and Pam’s son, Matthew began working for the Fast Stops as a Retail Marketing Manager in 2006. Since then, he’s continued his father’s and grandfather’s path of helping the company expand and grow throughout the region. As part of this, Matthew helped the company expand by selling transport trucks to Petroleum Transport, Inc. based in Lubbock, TX. This sell expanded the wholesale fuel brokering operations into all of San Antonio, New Mexico, Dallas, Houston, and El Paso. By August of 2007, Kendrick Oil was ready for even more expansion and we purchased the Chisum Travel Center in Lubbock from Bolton Oil. This purchase brought our total number of convenience stores to 25.
Looking towards the future
Today, Kendrick Oil Company’s jobbers include Valero, Alon, Phillips 66, CITGO, Shamrock, Conoco, VP & Sinclair. We employ over 200 people in both wholesale and retail operations, and have accounts at over 120 terminals across six states. Our most recent acquisition of Fuel Source in March of 2014 further expanded our wholesale business within the Permian Basin, and also added a travel center to the Hub City Convenience Stores. With our base solid and growing, our company is looking towards the future. We are constantly searching for opportunities to expand our business and the area we service. To that end, there are some exciting things in store for the months and years ahead. We are eager to see our brand continue to expand as our reputation continues to grow.
Kendrick Oil Company is a licensed wholesaler in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Louisiana. Our growth and expansion have been made possible by a combination of quality products and excellent service that our clients can rely upon. We invite you to contact us by calling (800) 299-3991. We will be happy to discuss the ways we can meet the needs of your business and to tell you more about the services and products we have available.